At the close of business last Friday 27th of June, Victoria’s Department of Health listed somewhere on their web site, how many Victorian’s received an HIV positive diagnosis last year.
303 Victorians were diagnosed HIV positive in 2013. That is an 16% increase on the 2012 figures.
Victoria’s Health Minister David Davis had 303 reasons to issue a media release Friday afternoon, yet he chose not to.
On Word For Word today, we will take a look at an issue close to Dean as 18 months ago he was asked to be an Ambassador for Australia’s only HIV stigma campaign ENUF. Since then there has been much said about the subject and today you get the best of the best….
- It all starts with the architect of the ENUF HIV stigma campaign, Living Positive Victoria’s Executive Officer Brent Allan. My co-host is Avi Miller and he chose this moment on-air to tell the world he was HIV positive.
- Sydney Olympian and ENUF Ambassador Ji Wallace speaks to JOY 94.9’s Ben Rylan on December 1, World AIDS Day in 2012.
- Dr Lucy Stackpool-Moore is the Communications Coordinator for AIDS 2014 being held here in Melbourne July 20-25. She is an expert in the effects of HIV stigma and JOY 94.9’s Shannon Power spoke with here on World AIDS Day 2013
- We hear Cath Smith’s speech from the 2014 AIDS Candlelight Memorial held in Melbourne last month.
- Rachael Berger talks about her 25 years advocating for those living with and affected by HIV.
- Melbourne Chargers President Anton Brooks spoke about the importance of challenging stigma and breaking down stereotypes at the 2014 AIDS Candlelight Memorial.